Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Bantayan Island: Part 4 (Monday)

Well, got up to the rooster’s crow at 5:30am today. Awesome…

But today was amazing. We went down to the ocean to meet a captain so we could go island hopping. Tristan met a guy at the bar last night who’s Filipino wife’s brother was a captain and would take us and wouldn’t rip us off. What a deal. Captain Toto was his name. He walked with us first to the fish market and helped us get some food to bring over to the island for his to cook for us. We got more Mackerels, a red snapper, and squid.

We take off and we are first brought to a smaller island that had the best snorkeling on its coast. I’ve never been and it was so neat!!! The corals were not very brightly colored but the fish made up for it. I swam with Nemo and Dora and hundreds of other fish. The water was so salty, I would just ball up and stay floating and the fish would swim within an inch of me. I’ve very even seen so many colorful, and pretty big fish too even within an Asian restaurant aquarium.

(Captains Toto and Larry!!!)


(This is where we snorkeled!)

We don’t stop at that island, just continue over to the Virgin Island, were we plan to hang for the day. It’s just like Bantayan, just tiny. One beach, we a small coral reef, cabanas, hammocks, cooking stuff, and lots of palm trees. While to tide was out, we explored the cool rock formations next to the beach and hung with all the little fishies there.



(our little cabana)





(she found her way into a little cave)

(look at my fishie buddies!!)




The ocean water at this beach is actually much cooler than that on Bantayan, but I would guess it’s just because it get’s deeper much quicker. On Bantayan, you can walk out a football field distance and still be standing. Not on Virgin Island.

Toto cooked us a delicious feast. He even stuffed our fish for us with the veggie we bought and made a bomb salsa. We were pukingly full and loving life. So we just hung out, went swimming, layed on the beach, collected shells, etc.



(hanging with the captains!)

(look at that feast!!!!)

(look at the teeth on that thing!!!)

(Oh my gosh. yum.)

Me and Danika bought fresh coconuts for a dollar. One of the guys working there scaled a huge coconut tree and knocked them down for us, while another guy gave me a heart attack while he chopped them open for us. I personally love coconut milk, and Danika hadn’t tried it yet, so def worth the 1 dollar. Haha.

(pure monkey)


(giving me a heart attack with that knife)


When we got back, we walked along the beach to watch the sunset. We found that the sunset could be seen perfectly from the floating bar so we rowed over there, hung out with the semi-locals, and watched the sunset until you could see every planet in the entire universe in the sky. I thought you could see the stars the most clear up in the mountains in New Hampshire but even that cannot compare to here.

We all headed over to the bar back on the beach when the floating bar closed and I was able to get me my American breakfast for dinner. Except the toast was hard and they never gave me my coffee. Lame. We went to Moby Dick’s after that, where all the semi-locals have their boy time and play pool and drink beer without their Filipino wives. It was surprisingly a really good time, hanging out with a whole crowd of 60 year old guys. Who’da thought? Van was there and told me I should be a stand up comedian so that confirmed that fact that I like him. Haha, good ol’ Van. Invited me to coffee again tomorrow. WOOT!

No comments:

Post a Comment