Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Bantayan Island: Part 2 (Saturday)

How did you wake up this morning? Alarm clock? Probably.
I got woken up by a rooster.
You think I am joking…
Not so much.

Today we motorbiked around the island and saw the other cities (by cities, I mean one square of shops and people, but they consider it a city nonetheless).

We get our bikes, fill them up with gas at the station, and head on our way (falling a few times in the process of figuring out how to drive them. I almost killed a girl but no big deal). After about 10 mins of driving, we are starting to get into the city of Bantayan, the island's capital, when my bike stalls and dies. What the heck. The guys on the side of the street come take a look and say “you have no gas...” How is that possible?? I thought my gauge was just broken. What a joke, I got ripped off at the gas station, they didn’t put any gas in. Wanted to kill me some Filipino and cook ‘em for dinner. But lucky for me, you can buy red gasoline in glass coke bottles on the side of the road. What fun.


(that's gasoline)

On our way again, we stop at Bantayan city. Just the regular shops, but it has a fish market! Never been to one of those myself. Craziest fish ever. They had puffer fish, swordfish, these crazy blue fish, conch shell slugs (didn’t even think you could eat those, guess you just boil them according to the lady), scallops, shells, you name it. And all insanely cheep. We are gunna go back at some point, get some, and find a grill to grill ‘em up fresh for us. Can’t wait! 

(Bantayan City center shops)

(on the wharf)

(Look at 'em!!)


Me and Danika were attempted to get married off by all the ladies at the market. Da heck?? They kept asking us our names and if we had boyfriends. I showed them my ring but I learned they don’t do engagements there, so they thought that I was married. I just went with it, better for me if they think that way. This situation happened multiple times throughout the rest of the day.

(women at the fish market trying to marry me off)

(where we grabbed some lunch)

(in the city park)

 We also stopped at this old Church the city is known for. It was built sometime in the 1500s I think. It is the oldest parish in the Philippines. And it was gorgeous. It was complete with bats hanging from the roof too. We are gunna go back tomorrow for their 6pm English mass.



We head on the Madridejos, another city, and find an old fortress on the water. It’s in ruins and overgrown and gorgeous.



 They rest of the day, we just bummed around the island on the bikes. It was a lot of fun. I love the lifestyle or just the attitude towards life that these people have. Easy going, relaxing, slow, not a care in the world. I also love how much they love us white people!! You can tell that outside of Santa Fe, where our cottage is, they don’t see tourists EVER. If any tourists come to the island (if any), they just stay in Santa Fe and drink or whatever there. But elsewhere, they seemed so amazed and happy to see us. They all (kids and adults) were waving and talking to us. And they LOVED getting their pictures taken. So weird. Usually it is the exact opposite. People are always mad if they happen to be in a picture you are taking, but here it is the highlight of their day.



(loved these old people, sitting outside, enjoying the beauty around them)

We come back later afternoon, and grab some drinks at the Hard Cock Café, on of the local restaurants and cottages (where we originally tried to stay). Got myself a banana smoothie with Rum. So delicious.


We heard about this beach that no foreigners know about called Paradise Beach, that is what it sounds like, Paradise. We know the general location so we just decide to drive around and ask the locals to point the way. Thankfully, they did, and we found our way to this off-the-beaten-path beach that is time and beautiful. It has a lot of boats anchored around and a nice little cabana. We decided not to swim there, just go back to our beach in Santa Fe. I studied for my Cantonese test for 10 mins while Tristan and Danika swam out a hundred yards and were still only calf-deep in water. The sand bars here are really something, that’s for sure.



We get back to Onde, our cottage, shower, and head over back to the Hard Cock where the cook, Larry, told us they would be having an amazing all-you-can-eat buffet. How’s this for a $5 buffet: fresh specialty fish (forgot what he called it), prawn, clams, 3 different beef dishes, and then the rices, lo meins, salads, etc. $5. I’m just gunna let that sink in for a sec.

We hung out there for a bit, stuffed ourselves silly, got some drinks, met some locals and semi-locals, and played cards. Van, a semi-local invited us for REAL coffee that he serves every morning on his terrace patio on the beach. God I love this place.

Later we went over to the HR bar where a live band was playing. We met more people, got some more drinks, chilled with the band (50 year old blues and rock band), and had a fabulous time.

But this place wears me out like you wouldn’t believe, and I have sunburn on the inside of my elbow, so I am going to sleep. J

One thing I will say about this island. They know their music. At dinner, we were listening to some Eric Clapton and Jonny Cash, and at the bar they were playing Bob Marley, Led Zeppelin, and a whole slew of old music that was top of the line. All I can say is, good for them. They know what’s up.

Another thing I will say. People here are so dang friendly. They make it so easy to be that outsider tourist to get invited to coffee with close friends in the morning, drinks at the bar in the evening, and special events through the weekend. Everyone knows everyone and they are so happy to introduce you to everyone else. I even went to the bar counter tonight to get a Tanduay Ice (like a Smirnoff Ice but much better, not so nasty sweet), and they were all out; one of the local girls was like, get one of these, and she holds out her drink. I see that it’s a San Miguel. Not into that beer, I think it’s pretty gross. I say “ehhh” and she’s like, “no no, it’s the Lemon San Miguel, just try it” and this random chick I have never talked to is offering me her drink to try. It turned out to be a very good choice, but the point is how friendly and easy going they are. I was kinda figuring just the older men and semi-locals who have nothing to do were welcoming, but everyone is. No exceptions. It’s awesome.

I easily understand how these people get lost here for months, or years, at a time. I wish I could. Sadly, I am no Van (the guy inviting us to coffee), and I don’t go to eat with famous writers, nor do I have the money to travel the world for kicks. Someday though….someday.

Fun Facts about Filipino/Bantayan Asians
1. They are very forward about wanting a white girlfriend. Boys, mamas, you name it.
2. They are very Catholic. I think it is the only religion possible on any Filipino island.
3. Life for them is slow, relaxing, and enjoyable, no matter how much money they have.
4. Bantayan is NOT for tourists, but they still love them (except for the cocky Europeans who get drunk and trash their beaches and cottages).
5. They LOVE getting their pictures taken of them.
6. You would think they have never seen a white person by the way they all act towards us.
7. They LOVE tourists. Kids, adults, everyone waves to us and comes over to talk to us and get a picture with us.
8. Gasoline is red, and sold in glass coke bottles on the side of the road (for the motorbikes).
9. You can by only one cigarette if you want, and it costs 1 cent. A good pack of cigarettes costs a dollar tops.

No comments:

Post a Comment