Sunday, January 15, 2012

Rainy Sunday

So today was a dreary rainy day in Hong Kong. The first rainy day since I've been here. But it was not altogether uneventful. Actually, it was a rather good day.

We found a cute little church that had an english mass. At first we felt really awkward, standing outside in the rain waiting for the prior mass to get out, but then some 3 foot asian lady stands next to us with her little umbrella and starts talking to us. She gave me a cute Chinese New Year decoration that she had made and it completely turned my dreary day around. I made her really happy when she gave us some little red envelops used during New Years celebrations and I called them "lei si" which I had just learned in my Cantonese class haha. She was so excited I knew what they were.

(Chinese New Year tree set up in the Church)

(the ornament the woman gave me)

As a side note, I would just like to mention why it was so exciting for this women to be so friendly. In general, Hong Kong natives make me so annoyed to the point of angry because of their seemingly cold and inhospitable actions towards obviously non-asian people. What I am starting to find out, is that they are not actually rude people, they are shy and uncomfortable with speaking english. They are not the type to go out  of their way to befriend you, but if you reach out to them, they are just as warm and enchanting as people from Tennessee.

After church, we decided to go meander around and find this wedding mall apparently nearby. Well, after like an hour of searching, we found it. And we left within 30 minutes. haha. I was so overwhelmed and flustered that I pretty much just ran away. I was so confused as to how different it was than in the US. For example, you have to pay to try on dresses in the tiny little shops, and if you try one on, you are rather expected to buy it. Though very cheap, and they can tailor the dress any way that you want it for almost nothing, I found the setting way to weird and informal and fast. I would rather take my time and not be pressured to buy anything that second. But they did have fabulous sparkling tuxes.


Fun Facts about Asians:
1. I kid you not when I say they LOVE 7-11. They even have 7-11 umbrellas. Saw quite a few today.
2. Black people are not present in Asia. We saw 2 english black men today and we stopped and stared for way longer than is appropriate in any way, shape, or form.
3. Currant flavored things are all the rage.
4. Diet Coke is called Coke Light.
5. They always use soy milk rather than regular milk.
6. I can't find bagels ANYWHERE.
7. It is so obnoxious when they are using umbrellas because they are way too short.
8. Hong Kong is known for it's bakeries. We went for the first time today and it was beyond anything I could ever describe in words. Below are pics of their more intense stuff, but we got more of the breads and croissants and muffins (which is more of what they are known for). Melt-in-your-mouth amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment