Saturday, December 31, 2011

Annnnd we're off.

Hey everyone. So I thought I would start a blog to capture all my moments in Hong Kong, for either anyone who wants to stalk my journeys, and so that I don’t forget myself.

So let’s see where the adventures begin.

Well, I arrived from my first flight into Newark NJ being a little emo kid after all of the goodbyes (you could say I am not too happy to leave all of my shoes behind…).  My next flight from Newark to Hong Kong boarded on time, yet we sat in the plane for so long due to a light on the plane not turning off (against some flying rule or something….) that the flight staff went past legal time that they could work. In other words, this flight was screwed, and we were all shipped off to a hotel for the night to leave at 6am the next morning….Way to screw up my travel plans, since I timed my flight to arrive at the same time as others from my school so we could get lost in the city together trying to find Hong Kong Poly U (where I will be studying).

Thankfully Tony was able to get an extra day of leave and come stay with me so that I wasn’t in a hotel room by myself all night.

So rise and shine, get to the airport, aaaaaand we don’t leave until 10am. Quality service at Continental…
So finally we take off. Not gunna lie, it isn’t a terrible flight. I didn't need to use the barf bag, and I got to see some fantastic landscape out the window. 16 hours though, is really really really long. Anyways, the flight actually took us over Greenland and the freaking North Pole. Didn’t see any signs of Santa, wanna know why? ‘Cause in winter, the north never sees sunlight. All them movies that show Rudolph tramping around a sunny North Pole are just redonculous….reeeedonculous. But Greenland had the most movie perfect ice-capped mountain ranges that looked traitorous and magnificent at the same time.


I didn't get much sleep and the food they served us was Hot Pockets (mmm boy….??) but I watched the most amazing sun rise as I flew over Russia and Mongolia and China. Tried capturing it on the camera but it doesn’t do it justice. 


The Chinese rivers look like the winding snakes in a flat tan and grey landscape.


No comments:

Post a Comment